Architectural History Conference – Church and Hospital of St. Bartholomew
Learn about the Architecture of two 900 year old institutions
2023 is the 900th Anniversary of the foundation of the Church of St Bartholomew the Great and St Bartholomew’s Hospital. To celebrate the anniversary, the church and hospital have joined with the British Archaeological Association to organise a conference on Friday 24 February on the architectural history of the foundations.
Talks will take place in the Great Hall of the hospital, where a sandwich lunch will be served. This will be followed by a tour of the hospital and church. The day will end with a drinks reception in the church.
- The Architectural History of St Bartholomew’s Priory in the 12th century, Jill Franklin
- The Founder’s Book and the Rahere Monument, Julian Luxford
- Medieval Funerary Monuments at St Bartholomew’s Hospital, Christian Steer
- St Barts from the 13th century to the Reformation, John Goodall
12. 45 Lunch
- St Bartholomew’s Hospital to the Reformation, Euan Roger
- A renaissance Madonna and Child at Barts, Jeremy Warren
- Dissolution and Reformation at St Bartholomew’s Priory and Hospital, Nick Holder
- The Long Decline, c. 1559–1864, Steven Brindle
16.00 Tours of Hospital (led by Dan Cruickshank) and church (including talk by Jon Bayliss on the early modern monuments)
17.30 Reception in church